So what are everyone’s thoughts on Valentine’s Day? People seem to have some very strong feelings about it. Like they hate it because it’s a highly commercialized, Hallmark holiday and technically you should be showing your loved ones how much you care about them, more than once a year. I can understand that. And then there’s those that love it and go all out and get the flowers, chocolates, candlelight dinner, teddy bears, etc. I get that too because it’s kind of fun.
Personally I’m a little indifferent to it. D and I have been together for a long time and there’s been years where we buy each other expensive gifts and go for an expensive meal and others where we do absolutely nothing. I tend to like something that’s somewhere in between. This year I think we’re going to keep it simple and just go for a nice meal on Friday or Saturday, instead of Sunday, so we can avoid the crowds, higher prices and fixed menus. And we’ll probably skip the gifts this year.
Despite that, I thought I’d put together a collection of my favourite Valentine’s Day things, in case you needed some inspiration for the big Day:
- Grower Direct Vibrant Dreams Arrangement: I love getting flowers any time of year, and I don’t depend on D to buy them for me – I’ll happily buy them for myself! I love this arrangement – classic V-day colours but a little more understated than a dozen red roses.
- Pier One Pink Champagne Ombre Filled Candle: Could there be a more perfect Valentine’s Day candle? With notes of grapefruit, citrus and strawberry you really can’t go wrong (not to mention the beautiful ombre jar). Plus let’s be honest, real champagne is over-rated.
- Nova 7 Benjamin Bridge Wine: Wine wouldn’t be my drink of choice…unless it’s this one. This is my favourite wine ever – it’s sweet, sparkling but not at all dry. And it’s from Nova Scotia! #whoknew
- Urban Decay Gwen Stefani Lipstick (Firebird): No better day to break out a bright and bold fuchsia or red lip!
- Purdy’s Cinnamon Hearts: Whenever I see these hit the stores, I am instantly reminded of my childhood dog (RIP Twinkle) who ate an entire bowl of these in one sitting. She was home alone and we had left a bowl on the end table. We came home and they were gone. Still makes me giggle to think about it.
- Kate Spade ‘One in a Million’ Initial Pendant Necklace: Okay I know I have a bit of a Kate Spade problem but I’ve been eyeing these for years. I think they’d make a really great gift, especially for V-Day!
- Cookies by George Junior Cookie Box: Have you ever had a Cookies by George cookie? If not, you’re missing out (highly recommend the M&M ones)! These little boxes make great gifts for anyone and they deliver all throughout Canada and the US!
- Remy Olivier Cast Iron Fondue Set: If you’re planning on hanging out at home, may I suggest a fondue party for 2? We fondued on NYE and it was really fun (and delicious!) and it was nice to do something a little different!
- Tokoyo Milk Tainted Love No. 62: I have a mini bottle of this from a set I bought on Black Friday from Sephora and I think it makes a great V-day fragrance – warm, a little mysterious and a little musky.
- PS, I Love You: I can’t remember how many times I’ve watched this movie, nor read the book. It’s a tear-jerker, comedy and romance all mixed into one. If you’re looking for something along those lines to read, I’d recommend this (it’s usually on tv at least once a weekend as well 😉 )
- Brooklyn Brew Shop Home Brew Kit: I hate buying D presents, he’s always disappointed in whatever I get him. He’s definitely not into the sappy gift thing so beer is a safe bet, even if he does have to make it himself.
- Ricki’s Heart Intarsia Pullover: I’m a bit of a geek and like to wear holiday-themed things, whether it be jewelry or clothing on holidays. I like that I could wear this sweater after Valentine’s Day as well.
- Purdy’s Peanut Butter Hearts: Valentine’s Day 101: Chocolate. Add peanut butter and you’re golden.
- OPI’s Hello Kitty Collection Nail Polishes (Small + Cute = <3 & Charmmy & Sugar): I picked up a few of these polishes from the Hello Kitty collection a few weeks ago and these two are my favourite and couldn’t be more perfect for Valentine’s Day. I like using Charmmy & Sugar for an accent nail.
Thanks for reading!